Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Body That Talks

To quickly recap, I do not take medication to treat ms. I'm by far not anti-meds, it's more that my body is such that it became very offended at Avonex and its relatives. Supplements? Yeah, no. I was sucking down upwards of 30 pills per day and blowing through hundreds of dollars per month. I chased those with about 6 Advil per day for pain and headaches, landing myself in the hospital for 3 days with bleeding ulcers. No pills, no injections, no nuthin'. This body just can't hack it. But there's this other thing...

It's called cranial sacral therapy and "Body Talk". And it's really...odd. I like odd. Most people like even. Me? I identify with odd. Odd is good. Plus, it's fun to say. And to type. Go ahead and try it sometime. You'll see what I'm saying.

I joke that the guy who works on me has a subscription to Miss Cleo or something. As he's carefully and gently untangling whatever it is that was tangled (referred to as "fascia"), he'll ask questions like, "have you been feeling...(insert odd thing)". Then he'll gently touch a spot in my back that's sore and say something like, "your (odd thing) is governed by the liver, and your liver is out of balance." Dude. That is some crazy fecal matter.

The BodyTalk Practitioner relies on the guidance of the body's natural wisdom to not only locate the weakened or broken lines of communication and establish how to re-connect them, but also to find the proper order in which they are to be restored. This is accomplished through a form of neuromuscular biofeedback, by which the practitioner is able to ask the body yes-or-no questions and receive answers directly from the body about the sequence for re-establishing these lines of communication.

So wait. If I'm reading this right, it's kind of like an intervention? Establish a line of communication with Alice? But she's...so irrational! Ask her yes and no questions? Better him than me. If she was a real person, I'm positive she'd have a superb potty mouth. Insert swear word of choice in front of the yes or no and you've got it.

Whatever this stuff does, it makes me really happy. And my liver likes it, too. Wish they made one of those ribbon car magnets that said something like, "support liver joy"...something like that.

Tonight's the first night in weeks that my hand isn't twitching. I don't feel burning, or tingling, or numbness, or wet in place of cold, cold in place of wet, vibration, etc. I don't understand how it does what it does...it just does. It tucked Alice into bed, where she's experiencing an uber peaceful slumber. Now if I can only keep the noise down!

No comments:

Followers