Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Not Now, Fatigue!

Why is it my old friend, Fatigue, chooses the worst of times to show up?  Don't get me wrong.  Fatigue never left.  Fatigue is like the party guest who stays until the hosts are dozing off.  Fatigue is seriously annoying.

This has been an emotional week.  Sure, it's only Tuesday?  That should tell you something.  Emotions stink.  They exhaust me.

I've not gotten much sleep the past few nights, because my mind wouldn't shut itself down to rest.  I had to increase my usual 2 cups of coffee to 4 in order to look alive at work.  Today, because I was gearing up for the possibility of pulling an all-nighter down at the city hospital with my grandmother, I had my 4 cups in the morning, plus a biggie sized pumpkin spice latte, plus a ginormous soda.  My BCC (Blood Caffeine Content) was a .32, more than 3x the legal limit.  Got through my workday with minor tremors and received a call that she would not have surgery, thus no all-nighter.  I went down to visit for awhile, especially given the emotion surrounding the events of the day. 

I was fine until I walked out of the hospital and hit the cool air.  Fatigue washed over me like a wave.  A really, really big one.  With nearly an hour drive ahead of me, all I could say to myself was..."ugh crap".  Time to turn the radio way up and scream sing!  My singing is bad enough, but if I'm screaming it?  Not only am I effectively countering a bout of narcolepsy, but other motorists are safe as well!

...but there were no good songs on.  None.  I methodically switched between every station on the presets and realized that, hey, I'm totally not watching the road.  Too tired.  All those red lights in front of me make me anxious.  WAIT!  RED MEANS STOP!  And I was only about 10 minutes into my commute.  I knew it was going to be a long and painful drive.  Eyes heavy...foot heavy...wishing I could push a button and teleport home.  To bed.

All of the sudden, I heard the radio announcer say, "coming in at #4, the new song...Whip My Hair!" 

Whip My Hair?  Okay, I'll turn it up. 

OMG I'M AWAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Within the first 30 seconds of the song, I went from falling asleep in the driver's seat to wanting to plant my foot to the floor and drive head on into the hardest thing I could find.  Unhooking the seatbelt first, of course. 

Obviously, I exercised self-control and didn't do such a thing.  Thank you, Whip My Hair, for saving my life and that of my fellow motorists by dislodging me from the grips of Fatigue and keeping me alert on the road.  Now I'm just hoping the song wears off so I can get a good night's sleep!

(Disclaimer:  If anyone is offended by my assessment of said song, because they love it?  Please don't be.  I'm thankful for it, seriously.  It saved me!  How can I not love it as well!)

No comments:

Followers