Friday, October 30, 2009

Tortoise and The Hare...

I'm the type of person who goes 150mph in anything I do. If I'm your friend, I will actively seek out ways I can be a better friend to you. If I work for you, I'll work twice as many hours as you think I'm working or have asked me to work. Service projects, bake sales, whatever...I go as hard as I can. I feel like God is giving me the energy for a reason and, if I snub that blessing, I might not have it tomorrow. Or, if I don't have that energy tomorrow, I don't want to feel like I didn't make proper use of it today. Not taking any moments for granted in this life. Kinda like the hare!

Earlier on in my experience with ms, I couldn't stay out of bed. I didn't seem to have much choice in the matter. When my son was very young, I overheard a conversation he was having with another child. The boy was saying how his mother was running in the local 5k, and he asked my son if his mommy would also be running. My son said, "no, my mommy sleeps a lot". As much as that hurt me, it was true. Total tortoise.

I've been the tortoise and the hare intermittently for the past 10 years. I know what it's like to suddenly have my legs not work so well, to lose significant function on an entire side of my body, and to not be able to stay awake longer than a few hours at a time. But as much as I may have struggled through those times is as much as I was blessed to only have those challenges on my plate. I'll take all that and a bag of chips in lieu of having to do another tour at our local childrens hospital!

So basically, I'm trying to figure out if my "hare moments" create the tortoise ones, or if I'm supposed to go at 150mph while that blessing exists. I've fought with this concept for a long while and still haven't come up with the answer. As stubborn as I am, I probably couldn't slow myself during a hare moment anyway! Guess I'll just keep on keepin' on!

No comments:

Followers