Friday, October 16, 2009

"Alice"

Somehow, "Alice" has taken off.

This morning, as I was updating my Facebook status, I began to feel the searing pain of sunburn across my upper back. My immediate thought was, "ugh...Alice". It brought a smile to my face, because I have a pretty strange sense of humor.

When my friends and I were teenagers, we used to do stupid stuff like drive super slowly through the manual car wash bays and yell out to other patrons, "HEY! IT'S NOT WORKING! WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG?". We would also pretend that inanimate objects, such as post office mailboxes, were speaking to us as we walked by. It was common for us to walk past a mailbox, spin around, and scream, "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME?" So this is what you're working with...stupid humor. I see it as a blessing, because 20 years later, I just might have enough crazy left in me to get through this life!

Up until last night's post, I used to do my best to ignore the residual "attacks" - sunburn sensations, shaky legs, and creepy crawlies. I'm a child of the 70s. If you don't pay attention to it, it isn't so! Like monsters under the bed. While I didn't have a monster, I did have that stupid monkey that clapped the cymbals together and shrieked, "EEE EEE EEE". Wait a minute...am I retro'ing again? Why yes! Sorry, let me jump back to '09. Today, I found humor in this small-but-annoying ms attack, because I was able to give it a name. Good thing, because as I felt the burn and walked over to get a refill of Dunkin'...'cause that's what I run on...my legs began to vibrate. Alice's left jab. Humor is good! Dunkin' is better.

Today was my first day back to school post-virus. Though vibrating from the waist down at a noticeable rate, I was able to focus intently on my work with my students. Well, until the afternoon. I was working with a child who needs a little help expanding their imagination. So like, if there's a picture of a flower, I'll encourage them to tell me all about how that may have been planted, what it may smell like, do bees dig it, etc. So this child went on with a beautiful story of how this flower began as a seed planted by a little girl named...Alice.

I had been in mid swig of my water bottle and nearly choked! Of all names, Alice? I asked where that came from! "I dunno, I just thought it was pretty!"

Well that ain't the Alice I know, but kudos on the imagination, kiddo:-) If I were to tell said child about MY Alice...they'd probably sleep about as well as I did circa 1977 with that stupid clapping monkey under my bed. Seriously, who would've bought this for their child? Mom, come on!


Rejoicing!

No comments:

Followers