Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mud Run Water Girl

I remember when I was an athlete and the joke was how like, if you didn't play well, you'd be a "bench warmer" or "riding the pine" or a "water boy/girl".

Ah yes.  I do recall being an athlete.  Playing ball up and down the east coast.  Newspaper interviews and articles.  Accolades, recognition, trophies.  I'm not saying that to brag, seriously.  I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that I've always been involved in sports and that athletic contests were a way of life.  Like...I was swinging "fat bat" wiffleball bats and kicking soccer balls while the other little girls were playing with dolls.  As a teenager, I was in the batting cage and the gym while the other teenage girls were out at the mall.  In college, I was in the fieldhouse having a catch and/or playing basketball with the men while the other girls were hanging out in their respective sorority houses.  As a wife and working woman, I was still in the gym, still playing sports.  As a new mother?  Same thing.  Athletics defined me.  And then came those two little letters.

Athletics no longer define me and praise God for that.  All those trophies?  Are in my parents' attic.  The accolades?  No one remembers me.  The newspaper articles are yellowed from age.  The things I hung onto so tightly and measured my worth by?  Temporary.  Wait, not all of it.  The injuries are still with me.  I can tell when it's going to rain.  I still can't throw a ball very hard or far without the sting of the elbow injury I iced and medicated through for years.  Now?  My peace, comfort, and strength are found in the Lord.  Nearly losing my son brought me face to face with Him.  And then, hearing those two little letters?  Well, my life was turned upside down and inside out.  But some things never change..................I still like to get dirty................shhhhhh:-)

So when I heard there was a Mud Run?  I began to salivate.  When I looked at the course, I knew there was no way I could compete.  I felt a deep sadness for about 2.2 seconds until I saw a comment from a dear friend that read, and I quote:  "I'll be doing it for you!  It's the reason I want to do it! : ))"

I most graciously embrace my role as "water girl".  I'm honored to serve the athletes I was once a part of.  I'm humbled that my friends would consider me while they're out there giving it their all.  And one thing I can promise is that I will be the muddiest water girl of all...because I am SO diving in once my service is done ;-)


As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. 1 Peter 4:10-11. 

No comments:

Followers