Sunday, June 13, 2010

Vacation Hangover

Vacation Hangover. The letdown or exhaustion that follows a holiday trip.

Well, that's better than any other kind of hangover. 'Cept I wasn't on vacation, ms was. But now it's back, as I was whining about in my previous post. Thank you for your tolerance. I usually subscribe to a No Whining Policy, but ugh...just ugh.

Not sure where all Alice was able to go (for those of you new to the blog, "Alice" is the name I've given to ms), but she was pretty peeved about having to come back. And you know what? I get that. But for the love of all things good, I wouldn't mind a quarter tank of energy and some sleepiness. I've got to start my summertime job tomorrow and put in a solid 9-5 day. Then again, Dunkin' Donuts is on the way...

The 3 H's visited today. Hazy, Hot, and Humid. They turn Alice into a BBOH. Big Ball of Hate. That abbreviation's not mine, I stole that from the lady in the Carrabba's commercials. She's my hero.

I missed church this morning, because I woke up feeling as if I were hit by a Mack Truck that had a giant "MS" across the grille in lights. Don't have me committed, but I envisioned a woman resembling Large Marge from Pee Wee's Big Adventure at the wheel. On the door, "Alice" is scribed in calligraphy. Anyway, all systems were a "check" upon waking, but that just meant they worked. They didn't work well. So what's a girl to do? Sleep in.

I schlepped around the air conditioned house, completing low level chores. What are those, you ask? Well, I put my smoothie cup in the sink. I dug some beef bbq out of a tupperware and heated it up for lunch. Oh, and I also let a dog or two out. Just out, not back in. I asked my kids to do that. But I did have a nice visit from our neighborhood Jehovah's Witness lady.

Yes, I was raised to hide from them as a child. But seriously? They've changed their approach. They don't bang the door knocker incessantly and stare into your windows as they did when I was little. Now, they're gentle and peaceful. Plus, we don't have door knockers anymore. While I worship in a Church of Christ setting, I subscribe to THE Church of Christ. That's not a particular building or denomination. He preached unity, so that's how I roll. I see it kinda like how some people paint their faces up and wear their Eagles jerseys to root the Eagles on and think that's the only way to be a fan, others have season tix to root them on and think that's the only way to be a fan, but I choose to watch and scream in the comfort of my living room, appreciating all other fans. If the face painters and season tix holders think I'm wrong, that's ok with me. This is me, over here, with my own drum. So yeah, I enjoy her visits. Anyway, no one comes to visit my house, 'cause of all the dogs.

We had a beautiful conversation about...Alice! Here, her niece has ms as well. She shared what challenges are presented, as well as her fears. And I saw another example, through my giant eye flies in my left eye, that we're all just here together in this crazy world, trying to get by. Like the grocery store parking lot lady said yesterday, "God gives us what we need when we need it", and maybe that came in the form of something I was able to say to my God-loving friend, who is very concerned about her niece. Had I been where I usually am at that hour, I wouldn't have been home to talk "Alice". Plus, my kids love the little magazines. We all won.

No comments:

Followers