Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thinking of You, Pat Summitt

For those who don't know who Pat Summitt is, allow me to shed a small light.  In my best summary (which will not do her justice), Ms. Summitt is the Tennessee Lady Vols basketball coach.  She's pretty much the rockin'-est coach in all of women's sports.  And because I was a collegiate athlete and all...heavy emphasis on "was", I have a true respect for what she's done over the course of her career.  When she was recently dx'd with early onset dementia, I cried with sadness for her.  Then I read her interview and straightened up right quick when I saw the following statement:

"There's not going to be any pity party and I'll make sure of that"

I felt as if Coach Summitt would somehow know I was teary eyed and thereby order me to run to the water tower and back.  :::shudder:::  I suppose the mindset of an athlete never fades.  Running.  Ugh:-)

Honestly, we've all got some things in common with Coach Summitt.  Here are some of her other statements:

  • "I feel better just knowing what I'm dealing with"
  • "And as far as I'm concerned, it's not going to keep me from living my life, not going to keep me from coaching."
  • "He (her doctor) was so positive (saying) 'You can work through this.'"


She also said, in a televised interview, that she will continue in her job "as long as the good Lord is willing".

Not as if Coach Summitt would ever come across this little blog post of mine, but I'd like to thank her for her comments.  I think many of us MSers have said the same things.  But if I may be so bold, Coach, I beg your permission to speak freely.

If you ever worry?  If you ever sit up too late at night, unable to sleep, wondering what will come (we call it the What If Game here on this blog)?  If you ever feel like you have to be strong for everyone else, but wonder who will be strong for you?  If those strong, uplifting words you put out there for everyone to hear and/or read feel like simple lip service, because a smidge of doubt lies behind them?  If you ever feel alone?  Know that I've done and been all of those things.  And from the comments I've gotten from other readers, I can tell you that many of us have.  But one thing we know, without a shadow of doubt, is that the good Lord you mentioned in your interview has you in His hands.  In worry, loneliness, and doubt...He is there.  Always there.  The battle is not yours, it belongs to the Lord.

Now go out there and grab some more championships.  Guess I'll get started on that run.  I'm going to have to make it a "walk" if that's okay;-) 


No comments:

Followers