Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Wifely Guilt = Baked Goods

I'll be honest...I go through moments of feeling like a crappy wife.  Can I get an amen? 

I'm well aware of what I'm not.  Like...I'm not a whirlwind around the house.  I've shared before how I cook a bunch of meals on Sunday evenings, when I seem to have the greatest amount of energy, and reheat them throughout the week.  I don't load the dishwasher unless I lose the game of Dish Jenga we seem to play around here, and that doesn't happen often.  I'm not prompted to do laundry until we're down to the last towel, the last pair of dress pants, the last pair of undergarments.  I'm just trying to get through my work week, you know?  I don't pay attention to things like...baking.

So my husband and I were having a nice little conversation when he casually mentioned to me that a woman he knows told him how she found these tiny Reese's peanut butter cups at the store.  She was going to make chocolate chip cookies and experiment by putting the tiny RPBCs in the cookies.  Hold on.  I know she didn't just talk RPBCs with my man!  (lol!)  Anyway, continuing on.  She said she was going to make them this weekend and would give some to him.  My reply?

"Aw!  That's really sweet of her!  Tiny RPBCs, eh?  Creative." 

Oh hello, Guilt!  Haven't seen you in a little while, how ya been?  Nice of you to stop by over something so trivial as...cookies.  I'm sorry, Guilt.  But as Rose Royce's song said when I was little, love don't live here anymore for you.  You'll have to move on.  I won't jump through your hoops, especially not over cookies.  Life is simply too short.

But then I did what I do.  I went to the store in search of tiny RPBCs.  Spotted the "Baking Needs" aisle...yep, that must be the spot.  Think again.  Wait..."Candy"!  Surely that's the correct aisle?  Nope.  You've got to be kidding me.  Just regular RPBC, not these fairy tale tiny ones.  I began to doubt the existence of such a delicacy.  I did find the bite sized RPBCs, but those were much too large to place in the sort of chocolate chip cookie I was picturing.  Again, I did what I do.  I got frustrated and threw the bag of bite sized RPBCs at the shelf in annoyance, but I missed and it hit the floor face down.  As I picked it up, I noticed a recipe on the back.  Bite sized RPBC in a...cookie?  Could this be the one time my temper gets me what I want? 

I don't know, but judging by the picture immediately below?  I'd say I just BROUGHT IT, baby!



http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/peanut-butter-temptations-ii/Detail.aspx


THAT just happened!  So what if I didn't read the directions properly.  No matter that I didn't fill the little cups with quite enough cookie dough, resulting in the RPBC sticking up and out of it, rather than being properly flush with the top.  I don't care, because it wouldn't be something I baked if there wasn't something slightly askew with the finished product!  And that...is what my husband likes most:-) 

Healthy wives, you can keep your fresh cooked meals, perfectly baked desserts, neatly stacked dresser drawers, and empty sinks.  This is how I roll with holes...

Enjoy the recipe, friends!

No comments:

Followers