Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Membership Has Its Privileges

Did you know that there's an annual membership drive to the NMSS?

I don't know what possessed me to open the mailbox today, because there's never anything uplifting in there. Just a large group of folks who want money we don't have. Nonetheless, I did and found an envelope inside that said, "MS Membership Drive". I cracked a smile. I knew I had blog material...

With a gift of $30, I'll get a membership card and a year's subscription to the Momentum magazine.

A membership card.

When, where, and to whom would I show that off? Do I whip that out before the cashier rings up my groceries? Do I brandish it to Mr. Policeman the next time I'm pulled over for speeding or window tint? Maybe it comes numbered 1-10 so I can present it for my follow up MRIs? Get 10 scans and my copay's waived on the 11th? Movie store? Public library? I could present it to get my late fees waived. "clearly you see why I've forgotten that I took that book/movie out 3 months ago"...

Wouldn't you think part of the perks of having ms is that you just GET the membership card? I mean, anyone can fork out $30 to join. But what about the person who makes a lifelong commitment and actually HAS the lesions? Personally, I think THOSE folks should not only get a membership card, but also a jacket. A Members Only jacket, to be specific.

No comments:

Followers