Sunday, October 23, 2011

To Zumba...Or Not To Zumba

Zumba is the latest thing, right?  Ugh.  It's always somethin'.

When I was a kid, it was Richard Simmons with his headband.  I remember eating Twinkies and bopping my head to the music.  What was next...Denise Austin?  That may have been my Ring Ding phase.  Of course there was Susan Powter, shouting at me to "stop the insanity!" when I was in college.  I still recall watching her in the dorm's tv lounge with a group of friends.  I had a plateful of those english muffin pizzas we always made.  She said something about her thighs no longer rubbing together when she walked.  I was dumbfounded.  I threw my hands up and said, "you mean they're NOT supposed to do that?  You gotta be kiddin' me!"...which drew the laughter of all. 

:::For some reason, when folks are exercising on tv - it makes me hungry:::

Zumba.  I've avoided it all this time, but they're bringing it to my school and there is a certain measure of peer pressure.  It's like being in high school all over again. 

  • "Everybody's gonna be doing it!" - Nice try, but I never did follow the crowd. 
  • "I heard it's good for people with ms!" - Really?  Because I like light exercise and cheesecake.  I think that's great and I've got ms! 
  • "It's just dancing to music!  You like to dance, don't you?" - Just dancing, eh?  Yep, I like to dance.  Every 5 years at a class reunion, and only when they play "Jump On It", because who can deny themselves the thrill of the rotating lasso swinging dance?  Not I.  Problem is, I'm not too old to remember how I used to dance.  Ya know, pre-ms?  Back in the club days...when my body didn't spasm and jerk and stiffen randomly.  Because for the past 12yrs, it's looked pretty much like this:  




Zumba class starts tomorrow after work.  Maybe I'll just watch the first one to get an idea for it.  With a PSL w/wc (pumpkin spice latte with whipped cream) in hand.  I like to walk for exercise.  At least then, when a foot kicks out, it typically lands in front of me.  The only music playing is that which is in my head.  In other words, no one can tell how truly out of rhythm I actually am ;-)

As always, ms'er opinions are encouraged.  For example, if you've jerked and spasmed your way through Zumba, let me know how you've felt afterwards.  And if you think I should go with the cappuccino in lieu of the latte, I'm all ears!

No comments:

Followers