Thursday, July 28, 2011

Yeah...I'm Content

I posted a facebook status that said:  "'...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty...I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.' Phil 4:11-13   Content = an awesome thing to be :-)"

A friend replied:  "Can you teach me????????????"
 
(Admittedly, the very first thing that popped into my head was, "I could teach you, but I'd have to charge".  I refrained from responding in kind;-) 
 
Anyway.
 
Content - adj

1. mentally or emotionally satisfied with things as they are
2. assenting to or willing to accept circumstances, a proposed course of action, etc.
3. peace of mind; mental or emotional satisfaction

Check, check, and check.

When did I begin to feel content?  Just a couple of days ago.  It's okay to laugh.  I am!

Because last year, right around this time...I was in the hospital.  Cardiac floor.  A few abnormal tests earned me a comfortable bed, my own nurse, and lots of sticky stuff...all stuck to me.  I was pulling glue out from bad places for days.  It was a reminder that I've received some of my biggest blessings and learned some of my best lessons in times of trial. 

My health taught me a long time ago that my prayer life isn't the equivalent of a glorified Christmas list.  I won't get everything I want, but I'll have everything I need.  And I do have all of that:-)  Sadly, I just forget that detail from time to time.

I think I'll keep this post handy so that, when I get all wrapped up in myself and feel emotionally overloaded, I can remind myself of how peaceful I felt as I wrote it.  And surely I will say, "okay, who got ahold of my password and wrote that, 'cause it couldn't have been me!" 
 
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go make a dark berry smoothie.  It's the closest thing I've got in the freezer to a milkshake.
 
 
 
 
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. - Phil 4:11-13

1 comment:

nicole said...

Some people confuse content with apathy I'm glad you don't! Great post!

Followers